26 October 2016

2016 so far

This year is drawing to a close, and I'm already planning my race schedule for 2017. I haven't done any races in 2016.

At first I spent a lot of time getting back into running shape after taking nearly a year off (2015) because I was intimidated by the hills in São Paulo and I didn't want to buy a gym membership.

Finally I sucked it up and got a membership at a gym across the street from me. A few of the trainers milling around and giving unsought advice were cool, a few of them were not. But what was really insufferable were the people who worked out there. Stuck-up, rude, vain, rude, self-absorbed, rude... A lot of times I run because I am grumpy and angry, then I get a dose of endorphins and all is right in the world. But it got to the point that the people at the gym made me angrier than before I started running!

During the last month of my membership (May), I did some squats a little too low or I had a weird position or something... and injured my right knee. This was right before I went on vacation to Arizona for a month in July (yeah yeah, you try running in AZ in July if you are on vacation and don't want to wake up at 3am), so I stopped running for two months.

After I got back, I got a gym membership at a different gym with people who don't annoy me to the moon and back, so I've been strength training (once a week) and running more frequently (2-3 times a week).

I'm finally at the point (hello November, you eleventh month of the year!) where I am ready to start looking into racing races. There are a few 10ks left this year, but I'm not sure about signing up. They are kind of expensive and all the photos from previous years make it look like the course is really crowded. São Paulo has gained a lot more runners in the past year due to the expansion of dedicated bike lanes throughout the city. On the one hand, that's really awesome, but on the other hand, races get really full. A few races I saw are completely full and there are still a few weeks to go before the gun goes off.

Training is going really well, I'm just itching for something to train for.

Looking ahead to 2017, the São Paulo half marathon is on February 19 and the full marathon on April 9. Silas gave me some good advice and told me to sign up for the half, and after I see how that goes, I can sign up for the full. So some of my next paycheck will probably end up there.

Do you have any more races on the calendar this year? Are you planning your schedule for next year already?

No comments:

Post a Comment