05 June 2017

Back on Track After My Wedding

Things got really crazy during the first half of 2017 — I moved into my own apartment, I got married, my mom visited me for a month, I got my Brazilian residence visa finally, I was working, doing an internship, and planning a wedding all at the same time. Since those things are over now, and I'm only working a few hours per week, I've been able to work out almost daily!

After a week of training, I was surprised at how fast I could jump back into a 5k after almost no running for the past four months (I do walk 5-10k per day though, just in my normal commuting... and live on the 4th floor of a building with no elevator... welcome to São Paulo). The downside of getting back into shape is feeling like I am out of shape and comparing myself with when I was running 8k on a daily basis. The upside of getting back into shape is watching how fast I make improvements.

For example, I did this 9-minute body weight workout from the NY Times. The first time I did it, I had to take long breaks between each set, and I was totally winded. The second time I did it, just a week and a few runs later, I could do the whole thing on 1' intervals of rest between sets and I did 20' of yoga as well. I love watching my body respond quickly to discipline.

I was feeling so inspired and full of health that I decided to sign up for the São Paulo Venus 15k. I was debating between the 10k and the 15k, because while I know I can run a 10k with inconsistent training, a 15k will take some disciplined work. A friend convinced me to choose the longer distance because "you've already conquered a 10k", and I decided she was right. So between now and September 3, I need to be running consistently, listening to my body, figure out how to keep my blood sugar levels up for that long of a distance, and keep up all around good health/strong runner habits.



No comments:

Post a Comment