29 April 2015

Life Update! Or, how hills are ruining my life

I moved from Dubai to São Paulo in January 2015. Four months later and I'm feeling more settled in, getting a hang of the language, and am comfortable with my job. Unfortunately though, I haven't exercised with much consistency.

I've run a handful of times, and each time I felt blaaahhh afterwards. Remembering that feeling doesn't help when I'm deciding to stay inside and read or go out and run.

Also, my neighborhood is known as being hip and cool, and pretty crime-free compared to most of São Paulo. Why is that? because IT'S FREAKIN HARD TO RUN HERE! So hard that most robbers are all, 'Damn, I don't wanna run up that hill!' I can't blame them, cuz I don't either. I'm either running knee-pounding downhills with crooked sidewalks that hurt my ankles (and even my knees when I walk a lot), or lung-busting uphills that can compete with the best San Francisco has to offer.

Aw, a beautiful rainbow that, oddly enough, mimics the topography of the neighborhood it is shining on.
I've considered a few options to avoid the hills and find somewhere more 'Alisa Approved.'
  1. Walk to a park about 25 minutes away
    Pros
    : Awesome paths, free exercise machinery, no cars inside the park
    Cons: It takes 25 minutes to get there, and then I will run, and then walk UPHILL back. 1:30+ for a workout is not my idea of convenient.
  2. Run downhill to a bike path along the Pinheiros River; take a bus back
    Pros
    : The sidewalks along this route are mostly wide and flat, pretty river scenery
    Cons: The bus costs money, the river stinks, and the bike path is adjacent to a super noisy highway.
  3. Run in a flat business district after I finish teaching morning classes
    Pros
    : It's flat, and easy to access since I'll already be there
    Cons: It's a business district and is congested with people and traffic. There's also construction in the area. I usually feel devoid of energy after morning classes.
Don't be deceived. Were this facing the other way, you would see sheer cliff.
Option #3 is looking the most attractive at this moment, but that means I'll need to get my life a lot more organized. I'll need to go to bed earlier so I have enough energy after class. I'll need to eat food before I leave for work and pack a post-class snack and a post-run snack. I'll need to stay on top of my laundry so I have clean workout clothes for the days that I need it. Aaand uhhh deodorant. I'll need to pack that.

No comments:

Post a Comment