20 December 2014

Race Report: We Run DXB 10k

I ran my first ever organized race on Friday, December 19! The Nike We Run DXB 10k!

Minimalism. (not pictured: sunglasses, bra, shorts, phone, earbuds, phone case)

I was feeling a little nervous before the race for a few reasons:
  1. Prior to the race, the longest distance I had ever run was 8.4k. 
  2. I didn't run very much the two weeks before the race because I felt sick and my back was so out of place that I was in constant pain with numbness/tingling. I went to the chiropractor (several times, eep!), had a brief session with a physical therapist.
  3. I don't normally run in the mornings, and in the past I felt very nauseous when I did. 
  4. What would it be like to run with so many other people? 8,000 runners were registered!
We so happy!

I only had two goals:
  1. Don't walk!
  2. Run under 1:05.00
2. Because I am still on 2 legs.

The race route was fun. It snaked around the enormous Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa. It was flat except for one underground part that was about half-way through... running down was fun but I did not anticipate running up again. I was panting, but I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, literally. Since Dubai is sooo flat, I never do hill training.

Strutting with pride

I felt pretty good, but after I passed 7.5 km my body was telling me, 'This is where we usually stop! You are forgetting what you are supposed to do! Stop!' It reminded me that much of running is about HABIT. It was hard to win the brain vs body battle, but I kept reminding myself of my goals.

The battle happened again when my running app told me that I had completed 10 kilometers, but the finish line was still 0.5k away. LONGEST HALF-A-K EVER. There were so many nice people cheering me on that I ended up sprinting the final 100 meters.

It's like Burj Khalifa inception.

So about those goals, I CRUSHED THEM! I never walked, and my time was 1:02.42! All this done before breakfast ;)

The race was super well organized. I heard that last time it... wasn't... so I'm glad that the race organizers really thought things through this time 'round. It set the bar high for my first racing experience. But by far the thing I enjoyed the most was staying positive throughout the entire race and feeling so proud of myself after I crossed the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment